Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Making the pizza!
Fermentation -  Nothing builds crust flavor like extending fermentation time. I personally would never make a dough that did not spend a minimum of 24 hours in the refrigerator. The recipe and process is designed for a 24 hour fermentation period. As such, the yeast amount (and type), salt amount and finished dough temperature were calculated for a dough that will be ready to use in ~24 hours. Most people think a recipe is the most important thing when making a pizza - yes, the recipe is important, but the process you follow and the ingredients you use are just as important. If any of those three items are changed, the finished pizza can be greatly impacted.

You can make your sauce and grate your cheese the day before or wait until you are ready to make the pizza.

For the sauce, simple crushed tomatoes are great - you can use them as they are or add a touch of sugar, (if you get a can that is not that great and a touch sour.) I usually add a pinch of salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a 1/4 teaspoon of Oregano. For this 14 inch pie you should use 3-5 oz of sauce. Normal is 4 oz is about but if you like extra sauce use 5 oz, if you like light on the sauce use about 3 oz. Optionally, you can mix in a teaspoon of grated Pecorino Romano. When it comes to sauce you can really add whatever you like but I recommend you keep it simple for now and try this first. If made the day before, take the sauce out of the refrigerator about an hour or so beforehand to let it warm up a bit - do not cook the sauce!

For the cheese you should buy whole milk mozzarella. Don’t use fresh mozzarella as it is too wet for a NY style pie and is generally less flavorful.  A lot of people don’t like pre-grated cheese but to be honest, if you don’t have a grater for your first pie I would not lose any sleep over it. You can also go to your deli and have them slice it nice and thin. For this 14 inch pie you will need ~7 oz of grated mozzarella cheese (8 oz for extra cheese, 6 oz for an easy on the cheese pie). Optionally, you can sprinkle a teaspoon or two of Parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella.

OK, everything is ready to go so it is time to preheat your oven. If using a stone I recommend setting it up in the middle rack.  If using steel I would start on one of the upper rack positions. Every oven is different so you can adjust the position of the stone to get an even bake (top / bottom). If after your first bake the top is done before the bottom, move the stone down, and if the top needs more browning move the stone up. I don’t recommend getting the broiler involved since they can be unpredictable when it comes time to lighting if you have been using the bake cycle. Set your oven for 550F (or 500F if that is as high as it goes). Be sure to preheat for at least 60 minutes (90 minutes is better), to allow the stone to fully saturate with heat (energy).

I like to take my dough out of the refrigerator about 30 - 45 minuets before I make the pie. The warm up time will help the dough open easier and also helps prevent bubbles in the pie. When the internal temperature of the dough ball is between 50-60 degrees F you are ready to go. 

If you are first starting out, I recommend using a rolling pin to open the pie to about 10 or 11 inches and then finish stretching with you’re knuckles - it is critical when doing your knuckle stretching to keep you knuckles as close to the outside edge of the pie as possible or the middle of the pie will get too thin. I fill a cereal bowl with some flour and when I’m ready to make the pie I pull out the dough and drop it into the flour - flip it over and then move it to the counter to start rolling it.

The best way to avoid a pie that sticks to the wooden peel is to work as fast as possible - the longer the pie sits on the wooden peel the more likely you will have a problem. For best results, dress your pie then slide it onto your peel just a second before you plan to launch it into the oven. I use a large wooden cutting board to make the pie.

Sauce goes down first, then cheese with some additional oregano on top of the cheese - if desired, you can optionally add a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.

I position my wooden peel next to the cutting board and pull the pizza onto the peel and launch it into the oven. If you work quick applying the sauce and cheese you can manage w/o the board and make your pie right on the peel. The larger the pizza the harder it gets to not have it hang up on the peel - also the higher the dough hydration (water content) the more prone to sticking your dough will be. 

Try not to leave the oven door open for any longer than necessary. Home ovens lose heat quickly and can not recover as quickly as commercial deck ovens, only open the door when the pie is ready to be launched into the oven and when it will be turned (with your metal peel). The pizza should be ready to turn about half way through your bake (4-6 minutes depending on you oven temperature). Again, try to work quickly so the door is only open for a short amount of time or skip the turn if it looks like it is cooking pretty even.

When the pie is done to your liking, slide your metal peel under it and remove it - I always put mine on metal cooling screens placed on the pizza pan - giving it a few minutes with the bottom off the pan will help avoid steam trapped under your crust (which can lead to a soggy bottom). After 3-5 minutes slide the pie off the screen onto the pizza pan and cut.

That is it - I could write about making pizza for a hundred pages and there is a lot more info but for a first home made pie this should be enough information. As you get better you can increase the hydration to see if you like the texture that way - or adjust the yeast amount and try a 3 day fermentation for extra flavor. Lots of different flours can be combined to change the character of the crust….
Refrigeration system plays a crucial role in the fermentation process as it works under lower temperature. I also have a refrigeration system in my home, which is very essential appliances that allow us to keep raw and cooked food items for a longer duration of time. But at the same time, one needs to provide proper service to it in order to prevent refrigerator from the dangerous microorganisms. Improper maintenance services may create various issues that can damage the whole refrigeration system. The refrigeration repair Santa Barbara team helps you to fix all the problem related to your refrigeration system. As we all know that bacteria exist in every foodstuff and refrigeration is the best cooling option that slows down the growth of bacteria.